Saturday, April 28, 2012

World Press Photo @ Oude Kerk


I have been very busy with my studies lately, so I didn't really have the time to write new blog updates. I'm sorry for that! The good news is that I have springbreak now, so I'll have plenty of time this week to go discover some new hotspots and events :-)

I have been asked to become a blogger for Museumn8 and today I have visited my first expo for them: World Press Photo at Oude Kerk.This is a yearly exposition where you can see all winning photos of the World Press Photo contest for photography journalists. I think it is really impressive. You get an overview of what happened the past year, and actually that has been quite a lot. The Arabic Spring, the tsunami in Japan, the financial crisis which left a lot of families in the U.S. broke. The pictures that are exposed are pretty shocking sometimes, but also very beautiful and touching.

Besides the pictures that are related to the news there are also photographs of daily situations. All photographs have in common that they make you very conscious about what is happening in the world, and unfortunately it doesn't leave you with a positive feeling. Seeing all these wars, natural disasters, dead people, poor people does made me aware of the fact that I'm are very lucky to live in a safe country like this. I left the expo with a weird feeling in my stomach but still I am glad that I've seen it, it touched me. You can see the expo until the 20th of June, tickets are 8,00. Check out for more info:

No comments:

Post a Comment