Saturday, March 10, 2012

Gebroeders Niemeijer @ Nieuwendijk


When I walk at Nieuwendijk, I always wonder why all the tourists go here instead of discovering the real nice places Amsterdam has to offer. They probably just don't know any better (or, maybe they do like to hang out in this street with its 10.000 'I love Amsterdam' beanies, hemp seeds and sandwiches that look like they have been lying there for ages). Anyhow, normally I try to avoid this street but there is one shop for which I make an exception: Gebroeders Niemeijer. This is a French bakery slash lunch cafe where they sell bread with the best crust you've ever had. Also, even though the shop is situated in one of Amsterdams busiest parts, you don't notice anything of that while you are inside. You can enjoy a lovely lunch here or buy bread and pastries to take home. I like the fact that they have options in every price range on the lunh menu - from a pain au chocolat (1,50) to an assortment of several kinds of freshly baked bread, cheeses, jam & butter and San Daniele ham (8,95). My personal favorite in the bakery is the walnut-fig bread, it's pretty expensive (3,95) but OH so good with French cheeses.

Check for more info http://www.gebroedersniemeijer.nl/

No comments:

Post a Comment